The following information was provided by Nigel Holland and Matthew Trustman in March 2019
FTTP SUPERFAST BROADBAND
Nearing completion, last few bits to do before we will be advised that we are able to order. We will pass on any information we have as soon as we get it,or if your with BT they might call you (Only when you order will the final connection from the nearest pole to your property be made)
- Remember, it has cost you nothing to provide this service to your property (which has probably increased it’s value), but it is NOT compulsory to order a service, although we believe that many people will benefit from doing so.
- We haven’t been able to hold meetings that we had hoped to, so here are a few pointers and examples, (not an exhaustive list) to look out for when deciding what to do.
- There are different suppliers available, e.g. BT, Zen, who can provide FTTP service. If that is all you need, compare them.
- Remember to compare like with like…do the figures include line rental?
- If you are looking for more of a package, BT is probably your first choice.
- We recommend assessing what you could use the new service for in addition to what you use it for now. What could you do in the future that you can’t do now?
- Consider TV/entertainment, what channels do you watch now? (BT TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime..v Sky?)
- Consider Smart products covering your home and security that you can control remotely, (Hive, Ring)
- Communication needs, (consider BT mobile as part of a deal), reduce your bills by using free video calling , (Skype, WhatsApp). Do you need a BT landline and number or could you use VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) instead?
- Many support and service needs are moving and can be satisfied online, some could be life savers if you need help or information in a hurry.
- (With appropriate security) consider online Banking, online shopping, social media, keep in touch with loved ones, or follow those you admire…..
- Education (one for the parents there), children’s homework and increasing use of online materials
- SAFE Online gaming and social media, (one for the children with parental control, and probably a number of older adults as well!)
- Now you will realistically be able to Work from Home!! (If this had arrived several years ago it would have saved me a fortune)
How much can you save and what can you now do that you’ve always wanted to? Let us know what successes (or challenges) you have as it may encourage/help others!
Remember your online security is extremely important. Use effective passwords. Take care what information you give and to whom. If a stranger knocked on your front door or rang you and asked you for your bank account number, would you tell them? Then don’t tell anyone online either, it’s just the same, there are always people out there who would take advantage if they got the chance, just take the same precautions as you would anywhere else.
Nigel Holland Matthew Trustman